If Treants are the guardians of the forest and speakers for the trees, Entings are the gardeners. As long-lived as the forests themselves, seeing themselves as artists coaxing masterpieces from the bounty of nature, Entings are slow and methodical in most things but terrifying when forced to fight in defense of their work. Though they rarely seek out the companionship of the short-lived races, and have an inherent distrust of change, they have been known to tolerate those who seek to learn from their long, rambling monologues, especially if the pupils express a desire to help protect the wildlands. Yet against those who would threaten the forest, especially loggers who seek to harvest wood for lumber or those who try to clearcut a section of forest in order to build a fort or establish a town, the Enting’s wrath is swift and devastating.
Entings are primarily solitary creatures, with a given individual being the only one in an entire forest, but they occasionally come together in small groups similar to Treants called groves to share news and reproduce. In times of grave danger, all of the groves in a region may gather for a great months-long meeting called a moot, but such events are exceedingly rare, and millennia may go by between them.
Entings can grow between 6 and 10 feet tall. At maximum size, their trunk is 1 1/2 feet in diameter, and they weigh 1,800 pounds. Entings tend to resemble the species of trees or shrubs most common in their woodland territories.
- +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity: Entings are thick and firm but slow to uproot.
- Plant-Type: Entings are plants which makes them immune to paralysis, poison, polymorph, sleep effects, and stunning. They breathe and eat, but do not need to sleep. A Enting can sleep in order to regain spells, but sleep is not required to survive or stay in good health.
- Mindful: Although most plant creatures do not have a mind, Enting have developed a sense of self over the course of their life. With such, the Enting can develop a personality which is individually theirs, and they gain the ability to scheme and plan. Enting player characters are affected mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).
- Medium: Entings are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Slow Speed: Entings have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
- Natural Armor: Entings are covered in a thick bark hide which gains them a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
- Stability: Entings have thick roots which cling to the ground. They receive a +4 racial bonus to their CMD when resisting bull rush or trip attempts while standing on the ground.
- Home Advantage: Nearly indistinguishable from other trees of its type, Entings blend into their home terrain. At character creation, choose what type of tree or shrub you are and one of the following as your terrain of origin: Cold, Desert, Forest, Jungle, Mountain, Plains, or Swamp. Entings gain a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks and can move through natural difficult terrain at their normal speed while within that terrain. Entings may also gain these bonuses in Urban environments where similar trees are planted.
- Gatecrasher: Entings gain a +2 racial bonus on Strength checks to break objects and a +2 racial bonus on combat maneuver checks to sunder.
- Treespeech: Entings have the ability to converse with plants as if subject to a continual speak with plants spell.
- Low-light Vision: Entings can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light.
- Languages: Entings begin play speaking Common and Treant. Nymphs with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following languages: Sylvan, Elven, Terran, Undercommon, Dwarven, Aklo, Giant